Wednesday, August 8, 2007

TV

Yesterday I declared to the entire world my nerdiness by blogging about Charlie Rose, but lest you think I only watch "boring" TV, I decided to blog about some of my guilty pleasure TV viewing. I'll give you just 3 for fear of revealing too much about myself.

1. Reno 911!--All I can say is it's absolutely hilarious. And quite crass. So I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone. In general my viewing usually goes something like this. I watch for 10 minutes, and they push the envelope a couple of times. I think of changing the channel but don't because it's so funny. Then about 15-20 minutes in they completely cross the line, and I'm forced to find something else to watch. I really wish they would clean it up a little bit so I could watch it more often, but I'm probably in the minority when it comes to what their audience wants. I used to watch more often, but now I probably only watch once a month if that often. My all time favorite segment is where Lt. Dangle and Trudy are called to the library because someone pooped in the book deposit box. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV.

2. Viva La Bam--I also don't watch this show with any regularity but will occasionally tune in. In general this is a mildly funny show that is filled with incredible stupidity; however, this is the only show that has ever made me laugh so hard that I fell off the couch and completely lost control of myself. Fortunately not my bowels, but it was close. I couldn't breathe, I was crying, and I was in physical pain. And it's happened twice!
The first time was when they tricked one of the guys into taking his shirt off and hitting a piñata; however, once blindfolded, they substituted a bee hive for the piñata. The ensuing mayhem crippled me with laughter. The second time was when they dug a tunnel under the house and cut a hole into Don Vito's bedroom floor and surprised him the next day. Both of these scenarios are juvenile and ridiculous, but in the moment, it was as if they hit my natural frequency for laughter and I lost all control of myself.

3. Smallville--I'm putting Smallville in this list because I don't know a lot of other 29 year old guys that watch it. I only dabble in the other two shows listed previously, but I'm a true fanatic of Smallville. I've been watching Smallville since day one and can whole heartedly recommend it to anyone. In 2001 when Smallville started, the WB was an up and coming network. I was always afraid it would tank thus taking Smallville down with it. I constantly told the people I worked with to support the WB by watching Smallville thereby ensuring its continued existence. I don't pretend to have had any influence, but six seasons later everything seems to be fine, and Season 7 will be starting soon. (A true miracle. I never expected it to get past 3 or 4 seasons) Unfortunately, I missed all of Season 6 since I was in the Philippines so I have to rent it and get caught up. I'm waiting for Netflix or Blockbuster to stock it online so I can sign up for a free membership and then have a Season 6 marathon. If they don't stock it soon though, I’ll break down and buy it. If I had to recommend only one episode for viewing, without a doubt it would be Episode 100. So many things came to a climax; It's a real tour de force.

Quote of the Day: We need to focus on our simularities.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

We have ALL of Season 6, recorded them. We still haven't watched em yet....right now we are working on Lost.

Carlene said...

well I must say your taste in TV leaves a little to be desired. Smallville I'll give you,but the other two, Ben, come on. I am sure you can find something to make you laugh that isn't so crass that you have to change the station. Maybe I'm just getting old but crude is crude and you really can't paint the picture any other way. Just think about it
mom

shannon said...

oh ben...you aren't the only 29 year old that watches smallville...my brother in law Josh watches it all the time...mostly to see that brunette girl, but oh well!